Friday, February 04, 2005

my Aerated head

Last night, I shaved my beard. This morning, I got my hair cut. My girlfriend did the honors. My shoulder-length locks are now resting on the top of the kitchen garbage. Looking at my mass of hair, clustered like the leavings of some springtime shedding, it feels as if I have been born anew. The leavings are so substantial, I feel like I should do something with it. If it was spring, I'd take it over to the park and leave it for the birds to make nests. I'm sure there's a chemo patient somewhere who'd kill for it, but then I'd have to put some effort into this lazy train of thought. I am now sporting a tapered, spiky sort of haircut that allows me to pull off both pseudo-mohawks and conservative looks with just a little gel. I've never been particularly attached to hairstyles... or at least that's what I tell myself. Mania allows me to follow an impulse and easily rationalize the moment.

It's tremendously liberating to shed one look and don another. I hope that this doesn't become the last time that I'll shed the hippie look. Admittedly, I am getting older and one never knows how many rounds of hair growth are left. It's never easy to go through that muddled stage wherein the hair is perpetually disheveled and the bangs are just long enough to get in the way yet too short for a ponytail. Then, there's the aging thing. My genetic history is a little sketchy with the whole balding gene. I have blood relatives on both sides who sport balding and furry scalps. In a sense, it's sad that balding is given negative stature. From the standpoint of evolutionary development, I'd think that it'd be desirable to have less hair. It makes a man that much further removed from primate origins who were entirely covered in hair. If I should one day discover that my genetics have vetoed my future hairstyle plans, then I doubt that I'll be terribly upset.

As for today, I could not be more happy with my lack of cranial foliage. I don't know what it is about haircuts that are so liberating for me. I'm like Jekyll and Hyde when it comes to hair. With short hair, I feel confident, jazzy and open to the onslaught of life's adventures. I also look about 5 years younger with short hair. I usually have short haircuts when I'm fed up with my life and want to make some changes. The last couple of times I cut my hair, I lost 65 lbs. and got a job supervising a summer theater. Long hair arises whenever I start getting into mythology, Tolkien, or hippie culture. I feel older, mature, expressionistic, laid back and comforted by longer hair. It gives me separation from the false, hipster sorts who troll concert venues and bars to be seen rather than to simply be. Sometimes, it's nice to feel older and, hopefully, a little wiser than the budding sort we worship in American culture. When I have a job, I start growing out my hair when I am fed up and feeling like a sell out. Unfortunately, long hair is a fantastic world to live behind when depression pays a visit. That veil of hair falls over the face and I am set apart from the world around me. I can sit in my private space and fondle my internal musings until they are polished from use.

Well, the veil has been clipped away and I'm looking out on the world, younger-looking, hipster-esqe, and no longer a viable rubbing post for our kittens. I've got a concert at the Bowery Ballroom tonight, my copy of Final Draft has been dusted off and fired up, and the wine is staying in the bottle. Baby steps to the desk...

a visual reference

No comments: