Thursday, February 10, 2005

but i wanted to watch oprah

Maintaining a blog is much like starting an exercise routine. Motivation arises from an intense discontent. My first entry was energizing and euporic. I had never written or posted to the net and within a few minutes, I had a blog and web design posted to the World Wide Web. I tried out the weight machines of pre-fab templates, text coloring and boldface, then I even tested the free weights of html coding on the fly to fix a formatting problem. Holy shit! There I was, doing it. The thrill of having actually 'done it' more than made up for any exhaustion of effort.

The next few entries were encouraging. I worked to fit a disciplined routine into my manic life. The intense discontent fed my writing as I earnestly attempted to communicate thoughtful ideas in a well-formed manner. A total stranger posted a comment on one of my posts and I regained that initial thrill of posting, like the day you walk by the mirror after a shower and discover that you can see a little more definition in your shoulder than you had before. Progress was being made! People were hearing me! After years of quiet brooding on the subway or within the depths of my cave, my voice had carried beyond my self.

After about a week or so, it became that the Impulse was fading. I had been heard. I had done it. I had exercised my brain and diatribed. Now, blogging was going to start taking a little more effort. My belief in the blog was going to soon be expected to prompt me to continue... well, that and the guilt that I was thinking of quitting something that felt so imperative only weeks before. The routine became forced and uncomfortable. As I began to learn the skills to write concisely, it became evident that there was a little craft to be learned here and that I won't be picking the whole thing up overnight. Every topic felt like the whinings of a spoiled child who should know better. Then came that first day where I got sloppy. I wrote the first thing that came to my mind and ran out of the gym. The feeling of accomplishment had been sabotaged and all I could think was, 'It's out there.' People are reading that lazy piece of crap and clicking away before reading that really cool post I did about fallen cathedrals. Or worse, they're clicking away, deleting their browser history and vowing to themselves to never return to my blog.

First thing the next morning, I went online and deleted the offending entry. Then, I tried to explain myself in a follow up entry, like those friends that keep explaining to you why that exercise routine they were going to do didn't work out because they have this-and-that taking up their lives and the gym is just not very accomodating in it's hours and besides the only time that they can work out is the busiest time of day and all the exercise bikes are being used at that time anyway.

So here I am, taking the big breath to chill myself the fuck out and regain a little focus. Well, at least I didn't have to buy the 1 year membership to join the gym.

1 comment:

Django said...

I think you should give yourself a little more credit, Deckard. You have good writing skills and I check your blog regularly.

I sometimes make entries in my own blog that I regret the day after. But I leave it there. It's just a snapshot of what I was thinking at that moment. And I can be a whining kid or a self loathing asshole sometimes. It'll just make the better entries in my blog stand out.

Being too self-concious is a good way to kill creativity. I hope you'll start writing again...

Jerry