Friday, January 05, 2007

drums... drums, in the deep

So, I finally got hired full-time at my non-profit job. I had been looking for a job elsewhere for the last 6 months, but it never happened. Finally, one of my co-workers got a new job and I was offered her vacated position. It's more pay and I'll have health benefits for the first time in nearly 2 1/2 years.

I fucking hate getting older. Suddenly things like health insurance have become a big deal as I've become more and more aware of exactly how fucked up the healthcare industry is in this country. Gives me a goddamn headache. So, I'm full-time now and that means that I can finally save a little money for the big move.

That's right. After 5 and a half years of living in NYC, Kat and I are planning to move. Colorado, most-likely. Fort Collins, quite possibly. Both Kat and I were born in Colorado (separated by 8 years). We both left at a young age and our memories are dim, but last summer rekindled things and now we're looking to move there. We have friends there and Nebraska, and it'll be an ideal place to recharge our batteries with some outdoor activities (I am particularly psyched about learning snowboarding).

I have no idea what the fuck we're going to do for a living. I've been looking for teaching work in the hope of gathering a little experience and teaching a community college after we move, but there's a glut of broke artists looking for work in NYC. I so badly want to get back into the arts, but I'm at a loss and have no idea what Colorado has to offer.

The reason we're thinking about Fort Collins is that it's a college town and is gaining a rep as a hip, cheap place. Boulder is too expensive and white for my tastes. People keep telling me I should move to Denver because I live in a city now, but why would I want to live in a smoggy city that isn't as dynamic and interesting as NYC and has no public transportation? If I wanted to live in another NYC, then I'd stay put.

As a result of this big event, Kat and I have posted a list on our refrigerator of all the things we want to do before we leave. Despite the unaffordability, I really LOVE this city and will have a very hard time leaving it.

I'm starting to freak out even as I write this.

It's time for another chapter in this life. It'll be six years this summer and it's time to acknowledge that the Dream just isn't gonna happen in this City. I'm tired of being broke, living hand-to-mouth, and going nowhere with my career. I'm ready to go. Kat is ready to go. We need new possibilities and a little more nature in our lives.

1 comment:

muse said...

Just a quick hello to say I've been thinking about you two, and I'm glad to read about your big plans! Sounds like an exciting transition for you! :)

I'm moving too (on the 27th of January... ahhhh!!!) so I won't be posting much (again, I know, I suck at blogging these days) until then, but after that, I'll be broke and at home and blogging away all the time! lol