Tuesday, January 17, 2006

an Engagement with futility

Shopping in New York City can be a trying existence. It's not difficult to find midtown's 5th Avenue boutiques or Macy's down along Herald Square. Even your mainstream tourist guide can point you downtown to the discount fare at Century 21. But what about a large, healthy houseplant? Or caulk? Or affordable storage bins? Or artsy jewelry? Without deep pockets or an ideal home base in the city, finding the necessities can be a struggle. My first 6 months in New York was spent on humiliating treks to the trashy K-Marts in Penn Station and St. Mark's. Big box stores and malls were all Kat and I knew. It took months before someone told us where the flower district was or that the hole-in-the-wall hardware store carried wood putty and a pretty solid selection of kitchen utensils, or that there was a free, shuttle bus from Penn Station that could take us to the Swedish Eden in New Jersey that is named Ikea. Without such valuable knowledge, a person might wander the city for hours, without finding the Thing he/she is searching for... much as I did on Friday.

The biggest news for the last few months of my life has been my engagement. Kat and I decided, over the weekend of Halloween, to get married. The second biggest drama (ongoing) in my life is the Search for the Engagement ring. Sauron had an easier time finding the One Ring. The first two months involved a phenomenally bad attempt to have a family friend make a ring. That story is too long and necessitates a fictionalizing of the names to preserve the dignity of those involved. Let me say that it is over and done with and now, I am balanced upon a fence where I could either get a ring for Kat or forgo the whole thing and just try to get the wedding ring right. Kat says she doesn't need an engagement ring, but her eyes beg otherwise. When in doubt, Citysearch and New York Metro becomes my guide. Soon, I found a few places in the City where I hoped I might find a simple or used ring that we could afford. With a list of addresses scrawled on a piece of paper, I cast myself into the City.

Along the way, I hoped to find a cafe where I could write away from home. I didn't have any solid leads but I knew of a couple places over near NYU and figured that there had to be a place where I could sit down. My first mistake was to attempt a Multitasking operation. This rarely goes well for me. My second mistake was thinking that Citysearch or NY Metro were going to give me the low-down on anything I might possibly afford. Most places were hideously-expensive. Some, were heinously-gaudy. Others... well let's just say that Kat probably isn't looking for a skull ring, even if the rubies in the eye sockets Are real.

My third mistake, was thinking that wandering would make up for my first two mistakes. I walked from one end of the Village to the other. From SoHo to the Lower East Side to the East Village to the West Village, back to the East Village... I'm aware that there are cross-town buses in the city but I rationalized that if I walked everywhere, then I would Surely find that Perfect side street where a quaint, quiet cafe would offer me sanctuary and happen to be right above that gem-of-a-store, nestled in the basement.

On a positive note, the journey ended at a Happy Hour where cheap beer, salty snacks, and a work-weary girlfriend helped to soften the sting in my legs and the soles of my shoes.

7 comments:

muse said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you guys!!! :-)

And do get Kat a ring, and present it to her romantically/specially, she deserves it! (hey, a girl who's down with Fire King stuff is A-OK in my book! LOL)

Oh, I'm so glad for you two! :)

muse said...

Lest I sound materialistic: what matters about the ring and its presentation is the sentiment that it represents, and the happy memory that will be associated with it, not the carats or $ value. A ring is a symbol, and that is what makes one cherish it (unless your name is Paris Hilton or J Lo or some other *cough-skank-cough* woman of low ideals, anyway) *grins*

This said, I think you're right on the skull thing. Your instincts are strong, Young Deckard! ;)

John Deckard said...

Thanks. As crazy as the ring search has become, I do understand the sentiment. Kat is fantastic in that she Really doesn't want anything ostentatious. I just have to try a little harder to find the right thing... and not leave the cave until I know where I'm going.

muse said...

Have you thought about asking on craigslist (New York chapter: newyork.craigslist.org) for good addresses (i.e. "Looking for good places to find ring" type of free ad) or maybe checking out eBay?

John Deckard said...

EBay tends to intimidate me, but I should probably give it a whirl.

On your suggestion, I posted in the Craigslist forums. We'll see if I get any bites.

Thanks for the hints.

muse said...

You're welcome! eBay and online shopping are passions (vices) of mine... hehehe Glad to spread the evil around! ;)

Django said...

Wow, that's excellent news, John. Congratulations to both of you!